Click above for more information
Customer Advisory for Importing Lexiles Using NWEA API Integration
Achieve3000 recommends that students take the LevelSet assessment the first time they log in to Achieve3000 and thereafter at the beginning, middle, and end of each school year. LevelSet was designed specifically for the purposes of matching students to appropriate texts within the Achieve3000 system and measuring Lexile growth based on students’ interactions with text in the program. It is the most precise way to place students into the program and measure growth.
If your district or school chooses to import Lexiles from the NWEA MAP assessment, it is important to understand the following:
- By importing Lexile measures from NWEA MAP, your school or district has chosen to use NWEA MAP as its primary measure of Lexile growth.
- The first time Lexiles are imported, Lexile growth will be tracked from the imported Lexile as existing student Lexiles will be overwritten.
- For some students, the Lexile measure imported from NWEA MAP could differ substantially from their existing Lexile measures in Achieve3000. Such differences could stem from the different test formats and item types of the two assessments. Differences could also arise from measurement error related to differences in testing environments, student motivation, and fidelity to testing procedures, among other causes.
- It is recommended that Lexile measures from NWEA MAP be imported at the beginning, middle, and end of the school year, according to your school’s or district’s testing schedule.
- Between importing Lexile measures, monthly auto-adjustments of Lexile measures will proceed as normal based on student performance in the multiple-choice activities in Achieve3000 Literacy. However, when subsequent student Lexile measures are imported, prior student Lexile measures are overwritten.
- MetaMetrics (the creators of the Lexile reading measure) recommends that Lexile growth be calculated using only Lexile measures from a consistent assessment, whether that is LevelSet or Lexile measures imported from the same external assessment. For example, NWEA MAP Lexile measures obtained at the end of the school year should not be compared to LevelSet Lexile measures obtained at the start of the school year.