- What is the Smarty Ants End of Year Assessment?
The End of Year Assessment provides teachers with a way to measure student progress at the conclusion of a school year and compares it against the End of Year goal. When paired with the Initial Assessment/Back to School Assessment and Mid-Year Assessment, it provides a complete picture of student progress for the entire school year.
- Is the assessment available for Smarty Ants Español?
Yes! The End of Year Assessment is available for both the English version and Smarty Ants Español.
- How is the assessment administered?
The End of Year Assessment will automatically appear for eligible students beginning the first Monday in May. Students will complete the assessment the first time they log in after that date.
- Can students take the assessment on an iPad?
Yes, students can take the End of Year Assessment on an iPad! The assessment is only available on the latest version of the Pre-K-1 app (version 1.11), which can be downloaded from the app store. Students currently in lesson 70 and above and using the 2nd Grade app that had progress in levels 1-11 will need to use the web version of the program to take the assessment, as the assessment is not available in the second grade app. At this time, the End of Year Assessment is not available on Android apps.
- Who are “eligible students”?
Students who worked in whole or in part with the pre-k, kindergarten, or first grade lessons are eligible to take the End of Year Assessment. Students who worked exclusively in the second-grade curriculum (Lessons 70 and above) will not take the assessment. In addition, students who have been assessed within the last 45 days or those who have completed all the lessons will be excluded from the End of Year Assessment.
- What does the End of Year Assessment look like for students?
The assessment will look just like the Initial and Back to School Assessments. Students will work in the familiar swimming pool to complete the assessment.
- Where does the End of Year Assessment start for students?
This adaptive assessment begins at the first level students made progress in during the current school year and tests them on each level played.
- How do students know that they have finished the assessment?
When students have finished the items on the End of Year Assessment, they will be placed back into the regular content at the lesson they were previously working on.
- Can students continue to work in Smarty Ants even after they complete the End of Year Assessment?
Yes! Students can continue working on lessons even after the assessment has been completed. Student logins will remain active until the end of the subscription period or until the school re-rosters for the next school year.
- When can teachers see reports for the End of Year Assessment?
The End of Year Assessment report will be available in real time, so teachers have immediate access to results.
- How will teachers access the End of Year Assessment report?
The report can be found in the Class Reports tab. For the English assessment, expand the Assessment and Progress Reports section. For Smarty Ants Español, expand the Español Reports section. Once the report is opened, teachers can view any of their classes by selecting them from the Class/Group drop down menu. All will be listed, regardless of program.
- How can I learn more about the End of Year Assessment report?
There is a quick reference card available for this report. The link is next to the report name and is available in English.
- How can I learn more about the data in each column of this report?
Click the question mark icon at the top of each column to learn more about the data represented in that column.
- What’s the difference between the “Placement before End of Year Assessment” and the “End of Year Placement” columns?
The “Placement before End of Year Assessment” lists the last lesson worked on before the End of Year Assessment was taken by the student. The “End of Year Placement” column lists the results of the assessment.
- Why do these two columns have the same lesson number for most of the students?
In most cases, the last lesson completed will match the assessed level on the End of Year Assessment. In some cases, students may place higher on the assessment.
- Will the “End of Year Placement” data ever be at a lower level/lesson than the “Placement before End of Year Assessment” data?
No. Smarty Ants never moves students backwards in the program. Instead, we provide remediation when necessary. It was decided that the end of the year is not the time to provide such re-teachings and that kids will retain the info better at the start of a new school year. Therefore, as students complete the Back to School Assessment in the fall, they will receive remediation lessons for any content that they are still struggling with.
- How can teachers use the Goal Status column to help their students?
The Goal Status helps teachers quickly identify those students who have met the end of year goal and those who still need additional support. Students who have met or exceed the goal may be ready for more challenging extension activities to continue their growth. Students who have not met the goal can continue using Smarty Ants to work on those remaining skills. Home use can also be encouraged. Teachers can also use the lesson resources to provide additional activities related to missing skills.