Instructional scaffolds are features that are included in all of our products that can be turned on and off at the student level. Each product has a default scaffold but you will have the ability to change if needed at the student level. For schools that are using scaffolds, students can receive specific tools and materials that assist them as they move through the 5-Step Literacy Routine. These can include audio support for the Article, numbered steps for the Routine, and Vocabulary and Concept previews. These are linked to the relevant area of the content, mostly on the Lesson page.
- Content starting at 250L, with 8 multiple choice questions
- Vocabulary support on the side of the article page
- "Include in your answer" support in thought questions
These scaffolds are best used for students who are struggling readers and students who may have trouble following steps in a routine. The scaffolds for these students include:
- PRE level content available: 150L and 4 questions, not scored for auto-adjust
- Vocabulary preview pop-up screen at start of lesson
- Numbered steps in five-step lessons
- Extra time for activity completion (at 250L and below)
- Initial LevelSet assessment set to two grade levels below actual
- Access to full translation in Spanish if selected
- Access to partial translation in Spanish if selected
- In Spanish: Hero/title & article summary; Polls and Poll Results; TQ prompt and Include in Your Answer (words in the last bullet should show up in both English and Spanish; depending on level, other portions may also show up in English and Spanish); Rubric.
- In English: Article & Activity (Both Lexile and Stretch); Puzzle; Map.
- In Both: Tabs roll from English to Spanish when hovered; Vocabulary & Concept Preview: Description in English; Vocabulary is in both; Audio Support in Spanish and English. Students can write in either English or Spanish.
These tools support advanced learners with differentiated materials and extension opportunities to broaden content-area concepts and vocabulary beyond the 5-Step Literacy Routine. The scaffolds for these students include:
- Extension activities and related outside links for additional exploration.
- Initial LevelSet assessment set for one grade level above actual.